Write India - November 2015

“Why can’t you understand, life is not that simple. You can’t just wish for your problems to go away like that without doing anything about it”, cried Arjun.

“I don’t mind talking about problems, but it you have to understand that you are not always correct. Why don’t you try to visualize life from someone else’s perspective as well”, replied Tanya.

“There is no point talking sense to you. You will always be trapped in the limitations of your own thinking. So much for being a wannabe feminist, all you know is how to twist everyone else into forcing them to accept what you want them to.”

“How can you be so insensitive, Arjun. One day you propose to me telling me that you love my outlook of life and the very next day you question the very basis of my belief system. What do you want me to do, please tell me because now I’m not sure if I can even understand what is going on inside your head.”

“I want you to think and talk to me when you are back in the right frame of mind.” Arjun said as he disconnected the phone without even listening to what Tanya had to say. The argument was stretching beyond it meaningful limits and he did not like where it was heading. He loved Tanya, but hated it when she became all bossy owing to the teachings of her newfound militant-feminist-mentor from her NGO, Shreya who would have blown all the men in the world if she had her way.

Tears rolled down her cheeks as Tanya contemplated the recently concluded phone call. “You need to leave that loser Arjun and be more independent. No one will respect you if you don’t have your own individuality. Men like Arjun feed upon your dependence on them and they will continue to do so unless you stand up to them and show them their true place”, said Shreya who had been silently listening to them both fight it off.

“He’s not like the others Shreya. Arjun is different and I know that. You have met him only once and not in the best of the circumstances. I don’t think you should judge him based on just a five minute meeting.” Tanya was always stuck between Shreya and Arjun. Both hated each other but, she loved both of them so much that she found it difficult to not bring up either when talking to the other.

“That is the problem with you Tanu. He spoke so harshly to you and still you defend him. You need to learn how to shut off people who don’t deserve to be in your life.”

“I don’t feel good. I think I should sleep for a while. Chal, see ya later.”

“Okay, as you wish, but I’m telling you that you need peace more that sleep and there is only one way to do that.”

“I will think about that later. Bye Shreya”

“Bye Tanu”

She pressed the red button on her screen and the Skype window minimized to reveal the photo of all three of them standing in front of Qutub Minar with the grumpy face of Arjun while Shreya tried to look like she was unaffected by his presence. Looking at it Tanya chuckled as she realized how crazy yet great her friends were.

She shut her laptop and lay down. Looking at the radium sticker of stars on her ceiling that Arjun had put up there reminded her of him just as it did every night or whenever she looked at it. They had been together for more than three years now and she had never seen Arjun get so riled up before. He had a lot of work related stress these days and also his relationship with Shreya was far from even being comfortable. She knew something was bugging him and it would pass on in a day or two like it always did, but still she did not feel good about the just concluded conversation of theirs. Feeling a little guilty, she texted him, “You are more important to me than any –ism that I may believe in. Looking forward to the family lunch on Saturday. ;-) Love you.” She waited a while for his reply, but soon fell asleep looking at the pictures of their recent trip to Agra.

She willed herself to not check her phone to see if he had replied. It had been about three days now. She hated that she was constantly checking his 'last seen at' status and yes, he had logged in just five minutes ago. Yet she couldn't stop herself. The sinking feeling to find absolutely no communication from him was becoming unbearable, almost torturous.

And then, just as she sat down in her chair, her phone vibrated. With her heart thudding in her ear, she unlocked her phone and stared at the screen. Finally! It was his message.

But when she opened it and read it, she nearly stopped breathing. She didn't know if he was joking or not. What was this?

“Won’t be attending the anniversary lunch. But you should go. It’s a good occasion to get yourself acquainted with the family. Take Shreya with you if you wish to.”

She forwarded the message to Shreya and within a minute Shreya called her on Skype.

“Has he gone mad? What does he think of himself?” barked Shreya while Tanya stared bewildered at her phone and then at the laptop screen.

“I don’t know. If he’s not gonna be there, then what will I do there. I don’t even know anyone there except his parents and his brother.”

“Like I know anyone and why is he asking me to go? He does not have any regard for you or his family. It’s all work for him and by the way who works on a Sunday skipping his family. I’m telling you Tanu. Men never understand. All that matters to them is ‘their work’ and ‘their feelings’. Stop it when you can or you will be trapped like those countless other women suffering at the hands of their husbands. Don’t be trapped in this madness of a wedding. Nothing good is gonna come out of it.”

“I wish he picked up his phone. He surely must have something in mind.”

“You are still not thinking clearly Tanu. He is a psycho and you are ignoring that. Besides, he is emotionally incapable of understanding love or even caring for someone, don’t expect sanity from him.” Tanya always marveled at Shreya’s capability of escalating Arjun’s shortcomings and this one could have topped the list but she was too engrossed in her thoughts to listen to Shreya’s rants.

“So what do you think? Wouldn’t it seem wrong if I don’t go, especially after his mother called me personally? If I don’t go she will feel bad.” She said, trying to dodge Shreya’s yet another attempt to turn it into an Arjun-bashing marathon.

“Her own son is not going, how would that make her feel. If he doesn’t care, why should you?”

“Well, because we both know Arjun and we know that sometimes he might act stupid but he doesn’t mean it. And if I don’t go that would greatly undermine my bond with her which I don’t want to for she is such a lovely lady.”

“She might be lovely or whatever, but the problem is her son. You need to see people for what they are. You are a good person and you see good in everyone and that is your greatest weakness. Meet me at CP and we will go someplace nice. You can call his mother if you wish to but I don’t see a point in going there like that.”

“Maybe you are right. I think I will call her.”

“Okay and then get ready. Remember CP in an hour Tanu.”

“Aye Aye Captain”

She disconnected the call and got up to get ready. Calling his mom was going to be tricky, but Arjun had left her no choice. A day out with Shreya should help her straighten her thoughts for this was getting too messed up.
Later that night when they got home, she saw a text from Arjun. “Thank you for not showing up today when I had specifically requested you. Saw pics of today’s trip on Shreya’s profile. Maybe she is right and it’s better if you stop wasting your time on me and concentrate more on what you guys are doing. At least that would be more substantial than wasting your time with someone who doesn’t even care for his family.”

Noticing the sudden dullness that had befallen her friend, Shreya snatched the phone from Tanya and read the text that she was so intensely staring at. Tanya started to sob quietly and Shreya knew the situation as quickly getting out of control.

She comforted Tanya and tried to reassure her. “It’s okay yaar. He is just mad like he always is. Give him a day or two and he will get back to normal. You know na how it is with these guys.”

“I think I should have gone Shreya. It’s all my fault. I was too selfish to look for anything else but my interests. And see what happened” her voice mixed up with her crying so badly that it was difficult to comprehend what she was saying. “He … he is gonna leave me, Shreya.”

“Don’t be stupid Tanu. You know him better than that. He makes a lot of noise, but doesn’t do anything, besides, he needs you more than you need him. And no matter how stupid he is, he surely is not foolish enough to let you leave. Mark my words.”

“But you read his text, right. He is very stubborn and he will not forgive me for today.”

“Listen to me Tanu, you are too blindfolded in your feelings for him, but you don’t see the real Arjun. If my analysis of him is correct, as it always is, he will call you tomorrow and apologize for today. He speaks a lot but doesn’t think that much. And like any other guy out there, will regret it and come back around. They may not have the guts to own it up, but they know when they are wrong. They are just slow in understanding that and your specimen has a world record in being the dumbest dude around. So cheer up dear.”

Tanya wanted to believe her, but something kept her from believing that everything was right and she feared that maybe Arjun was serious this time around. Shreya tucked her into her bed and went out to call her parents that she was going to stay at Tanya’s for tonight. Tanya waited for her to return, but it took her a little while and by the time she was back Tanya was already asleep.

Next morning when Tanya woke up, she jumped in jubilation at seeing the texts from Arjun, “Sorry for last night. Was drunk and out of my mind. Really sorry.

On my way to your place. Get ready, let’s have a day out!

She tried to wake up Shreya but she just wouldn’t budge. When everything else failed, she decided to play that awful song that Shreya hated but still kept in her phone.

As she unlocked her phone it opened to her call log. The last entry read
Arjun
Saturday 7 November 2015 11:45pm
21mins 56secs


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review - Neither A Hawk Nor a Dove

My Spoilt Communist Son!

Stalker Diaries – Unfinished stories in the era of Facebook